Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Stay at Home(made) Mom part 2

Back in August our friend Tammy Myers showed me how to make my own baby wipes and I LOVE IT! There are many advantages to making your own wipes, the first of which is obviously cost. A box of baby wipes cost around 2-4 dollars depending on where you get them from and they usually only have about 80 wipes. When you make your own wipes you use "select a size" paper towels, which only cost about 2-3 dollars. Each roll has 133-140 sheets per roll AND you cut those in half so you actually get between 266-280 wipes. Because the "recipe" calls for baby wash the wipes are very gentle, gentle enough for wiping her face, hands and neck. And on top of all that, they smell really nice!

Besides the paper towels, there are a few supplies that you'll need but most of those you'll have lying around the house.

Here's what you'll need: Baby wash (your favorite brand and sent), Olive Oil, 1 roll of Select-a-Size paper towels (I like to use Bounty), a mixing bowl, a container for the wipes, a tablespoon, a 1 cup measuring cup and Distilled Water


Using a serrated bread knife cut the paper towel roll in half



Place the roll, cut side down, in to the container.



Then in a mixing bowl mix together 2 cups of distilled water,



1 tablespoon of olive oil,



and 2 tablespoons of baby wash.



pour mixture all over paper towels, making sure to pour in AND around the cardboard roll.



remove cardboard roll



Vuala!


Lastly,Tammy recommend writing the "recipe" for the baby wipes on the side of the container for easy access. She was nice enough to give me her old container that she used with her kids!




5 comments:

Sherri Lavender said...

I once tried this with non-Bounty paper towels and there was no comparison. I would say to always use Bounty! They are more soft and more sturdy!

Jenny said...

you are so crafty! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dana!

Tammy taught me how to make these too aren't they great!!! Your little one is WAY cute:) Hope you are doing well and look forward to following you on your blog.

PS we need your address for Christmas cards, Thanks!

M. Hockersmith

The Roumbaniseses said...

Hi! I'm Megan's friend and I came across your blog. I am so impressed by your craftiness! I hope you post more on your homemade adventures.
-Myriah

Corey Scott said...

Dana, what a fabulous idea! I love it.