Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bluebonnets - this is going to be a long post


If you are ever driving through Texas in the springtime, you will see the highways littered with parents taking pictures of their children in the amazing fields of bluebonnets that grow all over this state. The origin of this tradition of taking pictures of our kids in our state flower is unknown but from what I gathered from a quick Google search, it dates back to the 60's when first lady Lady Bird Johnson persuaded the Texas State government to seed bluebonnet and other wild flowers along the state highways and elsewhere around the state.
I was so excited to get to take Lori this year! We took advantage of Jorge having Good Friday off and made the "40 minute" trip up to Brenham, TX to take pictures of Lori. We got lost (and almost ran out of gas) on the way, which is somewhat hard to do considering that its RIGHT off the Highway... but we got there eventually, and it was worth it. (That is why I said "40 minute" trip... ours turned in to 90 minutes...)



We found a BEAUTIFUL field of bluebonnets and pulled over to join the other parents and families taking pictures. I'd guess there were close to 40 other families there, and you're about to see why... oh and I should mention that Bluebonnets smell as good as they look!










When Lori stands up on her own Jorge and I clap and cheer for her with much enthusiasm, in hopes of motivating her to walk sooner. So far it's only caused Lori to clap her own hands as a way of asking us to clap for her whenever she does anything... no matter how small... it's kinda cute.

Here she is encouraging us to clap for her...

















This one is one of my favorites... so pensive. (and no, it's NOT illegal to pick the bluebonnets... so she's ok.)


More clapping... and a good view of the field.




These are two of my favorites...




Our BEAUTIFUL, HAPPY girl!































































Monogrammed bloomers, another Texas must!


After Jorge took some photos of Lori and me, I took some of them. My two FAVORITE people in the world!! They turned out great, if I do say so myself.







Jorge is so good with Lori, she just ADORES him too! Looking at these next few pictures makes me feel blessed!!















This one reminds me of Max from the book "Where the Wild Things Are"












But take a look at how much they look a like in
the next few pictures... it's amazing.






























More standing and clapping...

and a family picture!



Thank you and congratulations for making it to the end of this post... dragging all of these pictures to where I wanted them took WAY too long, so I hope it was worth it! Thanks for reading!!

3 comments:

teabarnes said...

I am so proud of you and Jorge. You are awesome parents and I am blessed to even know you let alone be related to you!! I love you tons!!

Sherri Lavender said...

Wow! Beautiful pictures and what a fun tradition!

Meg said...

Awesome post! You all look so great and Lori gets more gorgeous all the time! Can't wait to see you soon!!