Friday, March 13, 2009

Quilted fun!

About 4 years ago my friends and I threw a picnic bridal shower for one of our friends. When we got to the picnic spot my friend Samantha Sorbello whipped out this awesome quilt made out of jeans. The crafter in me went crazy! I knew that I was going to have to make one of these one day! Sam told us all that it was a wedding gift from her mother-in-law, that it was made from close to 20 pairs of jeans, and that she broke a lot sewing matching needles in the process.


I got the instructions from Samantha's mother-in-law not long after our picnic and haven'
t thrown out a pair of jeans since. It wasn't until the weather started to get nice that I decided that it was time to tackle this enormous project. Lori inspired me. She can't walk yet but she LOVES being outside so therefore I figured I'd make this HUGE (and I do mean HUGE) quilt so she can have a big enough space to crawl around on.

Well it took me 5 days, 14 pairs of jeans, 2 spools of yellow thread and 9 sewing machine needles but I DID IT!!



So far its been quite special. Lori took her first step while we were playing on it. She LOVES crawling and exploring the quilt, looking at all the seems and patches. (And trying to eat leaves...)





As usual Lori is all smiles! I can already tell that this summer is going to be really fun for us! She loves it so much I've decided to make it one of her birthday gifts... not that she'll really remember but it's the thought that counts right?


As much as she loves crawling around on the quilt, there is something about it that makes her want to try to walk. Like I said earlier, she took her first REAL step on the quilt and even though she's not walking yet she's getting closer and closer every day we play outside. Here's an action shot of Lori trying to stand up.


oh well... maybe next time!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your crafty ways always inspire and amaze me!

Shiloh and Samantha Sorbello said...

yay you finished! it looks great!

Meg said...

She is adorable (of course!) and the quilt looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! I would have loved crawling around on a quilt like that when I was little. I'm tucking this project idea away for future reference. :-)

B said...

Dana she is the cutest thing ever! I hope all is well with you and your family.
Blerina