Friday, September 26, 2008

Ad"ventures" in Etsy.com

What do you get when you cross stay at home moms with crafty entrepreneurs? You get Etsy.com, an online market place devoted to selling solely handmade items. It's not unlike Ebay.com, just without the bidding and second hand junk aspect. I kind of stumbled across this site while looking for my cousin's homemade diaper covers online. She was selling them on Etsy and found myself really intrigued by this creative site with a strange name. (The origins of the name are unknown.)

A few weeks later I had grown tired of looking for Lori's burp cloths because they were stark white and seemed to blend in with everything. I decided that I should sew some ribbon and maybe a soft piece of fabric on them so that they would stand out. They didn't look half bad. So I kept going, I dyed them, got nicer ribbons, and added new fabric. Then I realized that I had an extra Cubs emblem from a T-Shirt that I got for Jorge's T-Shirt quilt and from then on I was ON A ROLL! It took me a while to realize that it might be a good idea to see if I could sell these on Etsy. I love sewing and doing lots (and I do mean lots, probably too many for my own good) of crafty things, so why not try to make some extra cash while I was at it?


The Cubs Burp Cloth

I am yet to make a sale, but that's ok. I was getting discouraged but Jorge has been so supportive that I haven't really considered giving up. For the first time I really feel like Jorge is in this with me and that feels great. I really enjoy the days that Jorge comes home from work and I get to show him my latest project.

So that's the newest with me. I've posted a link to my new Etsy site so that you can see what kind of things I've been making. I'm "looking to expand my repertoire" (don't I sound professional already?) so if you have any ideas I'd LOVE to hear 'em. I'm always up for a new craft project!

2 comments:

Wes said...

Dana...wow. You and Crystal really are peas from the same pod. I think she has said these exact words at some point: "I really enjoy the days that Wes (Jorge) comes home from work and I get to show him my latest project." We talked tonight about how much we miss you guys. Good to see you're letting the creative juices flow. :)

Shiloh and Samantha Sorbello said...

Must say, I'm a really big fan of the Siena burp cloth! :) Thanks Dana (and Lori!) for the gift. Shiloh's sister is due in January and as soon as I know the name of the baby, I'll order one for him/her! - Sam